Monday, June 15, 2009

Thankless job

Two incidents, similar endings.

A lady gets into the train. Yours truly has managed to grab her window seat. With the earphones on and a book in hand, is trying hard to get lost into a world of her own, while still being a part of the so-called worldly affairs. At that juncture, a lady gets into the compartment. With a body language that could scare almost anybody and the expression on her face to match with it, she asks something to me. Earphones out. I, with my distracted self, concentrate on what she is saying. “Where will you get off?” is the question. I answer. Wake me up at "this" station. I say yes and try to carry on with my work. Conscious that I shouldn't miss her station, I wake her up, a station before her station. She gets up, stands at the door. Lets the cool breeze dash against her face and gets off.

A tiny tot, who is incidentally a hawker, gets into the compartment. Stares at someone eating the tiffin. Is offered the food. She has it. Is given water to drink and some more food to eat. The girl eats, drinks and leaves.

Regards,
Manjiri


No comments: